Through homeownership, Habitat for Humanity Capital District (HfHCD) helps to develop and transform communities by building affordable and sustainable homes in partnership with lower-income families.
HfHCD is the local affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International. We serve Albany, Rensselaer and Southern Saratoga Counties. Habitat for Humanity has more than 1,500 local affiliates in the United States and more than 70 national organizations around the world. Together, Habitat affiliates have built or rehabilitated more than 800,000 houses and served more than 4 million people worldwide. Habitat for Humanity is the 10th largest homebuilder in the United States.
Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need. By providing homeownership opportunities in partnership with lower-income households, Habitat is making safe, affordable shelter a matter of conscience and action.
Now Recruiting for AmeriCorps National Members:
This is a paid volunteer position through AmeriCorps for a Construction Crew Leader.
Reports to: Fred Darguste, Director of Construction and Hannah Nolan, Host Site Manager
Location: Capital District
Start Date: Fall of 2015
Open Positions: Two
Compensation: This position is paid a “living allowance”, up to $12,100 for a full 46.5 weeks of service. An education award of $5,500 is also available upon completion of service.
- Assist with hands on construction tasks such as demolition, site prep, framing, insulation, drywall, flooring, roofing, finish carpentry and landscaping. Projects may include new and gut rehab homes.
- Lead small groups of volunteers, ensuring that they are well-employed while on the work sites.
- Use volunteer management techniques to facilitate positive experiences for volunteers and partner families working on site.
- Collaborate with construction staff to identify skilled/enthusiastic volunteers and cultivate their involvement in Habitat’s work (i.e. encourage them to consider being trained as regular site leaders and/or returning volunteers).
- Maintain site safety through modeling of safety practices and guidelines, volunteer education, and site monitoring. Attend safety trainings with our construction staff.
- Provide on-site orientations and safety talks to groups of volunteers and family partners.
- Help with materials management on site and at the affiliate warehouse and storage trailers. Pick up and organize materials needed for projects.
- Set up and cleanup project sites.
- Maintain site logs for each project completed in order for supervisor to assess progress and next steps.
- Participate in regular planning and debriefing meetings as needed.
- On occasion, member may participate in larger community projects such as lot clean ups, community gardens, etc.
- Attend and participate in select affiliate events; responsibilities may include set up, cleanup, and engaging with attendees and informing them about the AmeriCorps program, our affiliate’s mission and NR programming, and how to become a volunteer and/or family partner.
AmeriCorps National Members gain the following:
- Leadership skills, teamwork, communication and other essential skills
- Work and life skills that transfer directly into job experience
- A resume builder, as AmeriCorps is a well respected organization
- The satisfaction of making a difference in your community and country
The Program Benefits include:
- Living allowance
- Education Award upon completion
- Possible forbearance of student loans.
- Health insurance
- Personal and sick days
- Childcare benefits, if you qualify
This opportunity is contingent upon our funding award in June.
To apply, visit the Habitat International page for our position: Construction Crew Leader, Albany, NY
If you are interested or you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
Intern: Habitat Restore
Reports to: Restore Manager
Location: Albany, NY
Hours: Part-time, 14 hours per week
Open Positions: 2
Compensation: This is not a paid position.
Eradicate poverty housing by working in our Restore in Albany. The Restore Intern will be working along side our staff to do community outreach, marketing and education, work with Restore customers and volunteers and go into the community for donation pick ups.
The Restore Intern is responsible for working with our staff on the following tasks (including but not limited to):
- Meeting with future Restore donors
- Educating the public about Restore
- Community outreach to bring in future donors and volunteers
- Communicating with customers in the store to meet their needs
- Going out into the community to pick up donations
- Working with volunteers and staff
Essential Internship Qualifications
- This individual must understand and appreciate the mission of HfH. Qualified candidates should demonstrate excellent organizational skills and possess a strong passion to better their community. Must be able to communicate effectively and deal tactfully with all kinds of individuals; yet remain consistent in keeping a professional demeanor.
- Must be eager to learn
- Must understand that working with volunteers requires flexibility and patience
- Must be able to lift between 50-100 lbs
- This position requires two days/week (must be between Tuesday-Friday), 9am-4pm
- Highly motivated and energetic and display strong interpersonal communication and leadership skills.
- Responsible, diligent and organized.
How to Apply
Habitat for Humanity Capital District is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all of our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve and National Guard status or any other status or characteristic protected by law.