Own a Home
Habitat partners with people to help them build a place they can call home. Homeowners work alongside volunteers to help build their own homes, which they then purchase with an affordable 30-year, 2% fixed-interest-rate mortgage.
Criteria for selection
You must be a legal permanent resident or citizen of the United States and have lived or worked in Albany, Rensselaer or Southern Saratoga County for at least the past year.
You must not have owned a home in past 3 years and currently be living in substandard, subsidized, or unaffordable housing.
Ability to pay
- Must have proof of steady income and satisfactory credit history.
- Provide 1% cash down payment
- Establish a monthly savings account
- Have no accounts in collection, no charge-offs or unsatisfied public records
- No bankruptcies in the last 4 years
Willingness to partner
All homebuyers must complete 250 hours of “sweat equity” and homebuyer education.
How to apply
For more information on homeownership with Habitat, please contact:
(518) 462-2993 x106