We realize our program does not meet everyone’s needs, or there may be more complicated housing issues that could utilize other resources in the community. These are just a few resources in the community that may cover areas in housing that we do not.

A good place to start:

The United Way has a 24/7 hotline that is a resource clearing house. Any questions, even those other than housing, can be directed to this number:


If you need housing assistance, here are some great resources in the Albany area:

Rental Housing:

Affordable Rental List (ARL) ; ARL is a free publication that provides information on affordable housing in Albany which is publish twice a month. Affordable rentals can also be found on the AHC website.

– United Tenants of Albany (UTA) is a community based nonprofit organization that works to improve housing conditions, both in terms of physical conditions and in terms of tenants’ rights for security and equity.

Accessibly Improvements:

-Access to Home ;  Access to Home is a citywide program providing grants of up to $25,000 to modify homes to improve accessibility for the disabled. Moderate to low-income households that include one or more member with a permanent disability are eligible.

-New York State OPWDD “Home of Your Own” Down Payment Assistance ; NYS Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) offers many housing initiatives. Funds can be used for down payment, closing costs or to reduce the bank mortgage of a single family home. Eligible households must be a first time homebuyer and include a person who is developmentally disabled. Call: (518) 473-1973.

Acquisition and Rehabilitation: 

Affordable Housing Partnership: Provides free 1 on 1 guidance and referrals to pre-purchase assistance and classes. Anyone can go and walk-ins are welcome! Call: 518-434-1730

-Landlord/Tenant disputes and Eviction Emergencies ; Provides landlord/tenant dispute and eviction emergency counseling. call: 518-436-8997 or go to: 33 Clinton Ave, Albany, NY, 12207.

-HOME Down Payment Assistance ; Provides down payment and closing cost assistance to first time home buyers at or below 80% area median income. Home buyers must have $1,500 of their own savings and take an approved home buyer education class.  Residency requirement of 10 years applies. Call: 518.235-3920.

-Albany Community Land Trust ; Provides home buyers with funding for down payments and repairs for first time home buyers at or below 80% of the area median income. Call: (518) 426-1296.

-Matched Savings Program ; Provides homebuyers with $4 for every $1 saved for downpayment and/or closing costs up to $7,500.Eligible first time buyers with incomes less than $61,600 for 1 or 2 person household and less than $70,800 for 3+ person household. Call: (518)-434-1730.

-Realtor Services ; A social purpose real estate brokerage specializing in first-time homebuyer representation in New York’s Capital Region. Helps clients evaluate the houses that best fit their needs and negotiate a favorable contract. Occasionally also lists homes for sale.

-Rensselaer County Home Buyer Program (Small Cities) ; TRIP’s Home Ownership Center administers federal funds available to income-eligible first-time homebuyers through Rensselaer County Housing Resources & Rensselaer County for downpayment and/or closing cost assistance in the amounts of $15,000 & $20,000.

-Acquisition and Rehab Program ; Provides first time  home buyers with funding to apply toward down payment and closing costs, as well as moderate rehab of home after closing. Home buyers must be at or below 112% area median income,  must have $1,500 of own savings, must be a resident of 10 yrs, and the house must be a pre-existing home located in Albany County.  Note and mortgage required, a line will be placed on property for up to 10 yrs.  Applicant(s) must not have owned a home in the last 3 years.

-Home Acquisition Program (HAP) ; Provides financial assistance to acquire and/or rehab a home to purchase.  Minimum assistance of $1,000 per unit. Household income must be under 80% area median income within 6 months of delivery of services, assets may not exceed $40,000 and you must currently not own a home.

-The Albany County Rural Housing Alliance (ACRHA) offers a wide variety of
grant and loan programs to assist low- to low-moderate income households in
Rural Albany County with home repairs or the purchase of a first home.

Energy Assistance:

-Aroostook County Action Program ; Provides individuals and families with a variety of programs and educational classes that offer financial assistance, educate homeowners on the essentials of purchasing and maintaining a home,  and provid emergency services to all income eligible houses. Call: 518-463-3175.

-Home Energy Assistance Program ; Provides financial assistance to defray high cost of energy bills and prevent termination of services for income eligible households.

-Weatherization Program ; Provides energy audits to identify specific needs and energy saving priorities and weatherization services. If a household contains a member who receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Public Assistance, Food Stamps, or Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) benefits, the house is considered automatically eligible for weatherization services. Call: (518) 463-3175.

-Energy-Efficient Homes and Buildings ; EmPower program, Assisted Home Performance with Energy Star, receive free/reduced cost energy audit and funding toward energy improvements. These appliances are available to all incomes; energy efficiency incentives vary with income level and tenure (owner or renter).

-Cornell Cooperative Extension; call: (518)-756-8650.

Historic Preservation:

-Architectural Parts Warehouse ; Salvage warehouse at 89 Lexington Ave accepts donations only of historic salvaged parts which would otherwise have been destroyed or lost. Call: (518)-465-2987.
-NYS Historic Homeownership Tax Credit ; Rehabilitation work on historic residential structures may qualify for a tax incentive. The credit will cover 20% of qualified rehabilitation costs of structures, up to a credit value of $50,000. At least $5,000.00 must be expended on qualifying work. At least 5% of the total project must be spent on the exterior of the building. All work must be approved by OPRHP prior to start of construction.Houses must owner-occupied and be individually listed on the State or National Register of Historic Places, or a contributing building in a historic district that is listed on the state or National Register of Historic Places. In addition, the house needs to be located in an eligible census tract. Households with adjusted gross incomes of under $60,000 qualify for a rebate from NYS for the full credit value.

Homeowner Counseling Programs: 

-Technical Assistance ; Technical assistance such as restoration information and referrals, regular workshops, obtaining grants, and property assessments. Questions, call: Dave Schachne (518)-694-0642.

Rehabilitation Grant Programs:

-AHC 60/40 Grant ; Provides a grant paying 60% of repair costs and the other 40% can come from homeowner’s funds, private loans, ACRHA revolving loan, or other programs. This is only available to South End Residents if no funds are available in the City of Albany. Income must be at or below 112% area median income and the homeowner must own and reside in property to be repaired and be current with mortgage, taxes and insurance.
-Residential Emergency Services to Offer (Home) Repairs to the Elderly (RESTORE) ; Provides funds that may be used to pay for the cost of emergency repairs to eliminate hazardous conditions in homes owned by the elderly when the homeowners cannot afford to make the repairs in a timely fashion. To be eligible for assistance, homeowners must be 60 years of age or older and have a household income that does not exceed 80% of the area median income. Call:(518)-486-5012.

-South End Improvement Corporation ; A non-profit organization working to improve housing and conditions within Albany’s South End. Call: (518)-436-8777.

-Revolving Loan Fund; Provides up to $5,000 interest free loan from 0 to 10 years for home repairs for low-income homeowners. Housing counseling and execution of Note and Mortgage required.  $150 loan application fee.

HOME program ; Provides grants for home repairs on single-unit houses. This program is only available to South End residents if no funds are available in the City of Albany. Eligible homeowners must be at or below 50% area median income.  Homeowners must own and reside in the property to be repaired and be up to date with mortgage, taxes, and insurance.

-Home Maintenance and Security ; Provides up to $1,000 per house to address safety and code issues. Eligible homeowners must be at or below the 80% area median income and live in the South End.

-Homeowner Assistance Rehab Program (HARP II) ; Provides about $2,000 per unit to address safety and code issues. Eligible homeowners must be at or below the 50% area median income and live in the South End. Rental Units may qualify as long as they’re owner occupied.

-Home Owner Assistance Program (HOAP) ; Provides moderate rehabilitation of owner-occupied buildings with 1-4 units (including rentals), condos, or cooperative units in any size building to bring units up to local housing code. Eligible homeowners must be at or below the 80% area median income and rental unit owners must be at or below the 60% area median income.

-Senior Rehabilitation Program ; Provides substantial repair to housing units owned by seniors to eliminate conditions posing a threat to health, safety and welfare of occupants. Eligible homeowners must be over the age of 62, at or below the 80% area median income, and their assets may not exceed $40,000.

Veteran Programs:

-Homeless Veteran Housing ; Provides both transitional and permanent housing rental options for homeless veterans. Call: (518)-465-5251.

-Veteran Owners Repair Program ; Provides up to $20,000 for home repair including weatherization and exterior work. Eligible homeowners must be a veteran or wounded soldier at or below the 90% area median income.

Rehabilitation Loan Programs:

-Residential Mortgage Financing Program ; Provides loans for buyers who may have difficulty qualifying for conventional financing due to affordability, subordinate grants, and/or the need for repairs. SEFCU has matched Community Loan Fund resources for this initiative. Priority goes to low-income borrowers and homes within targeted census tracts, including South End. For home purchases, a thirty-year fixed-rate mortgage is available to households earning below 80% of the area median income; in low-income census tracts, household income may be up to 120%.

Additional Services:

-Albany’s Affirmative Action, Human Right’s Ordinance, and Fair Housing Laws ; This resource can be utilized to better understand Albany’s affirmative action plan, humand rights ordinance, and fair houseing law specifications. For housing information call: (518)-434-5284.

-Domestic Violence Prevention ; If you or someone you know is in a domestic violence situation and need support you can use this resource. Call: 1-800-942-6906.

My Sisters’ Place ; This program offers support from a violent partner for mothers and children that are in a domestic violence situation.  Based in New York, they have 2 emergency shelters, used as a safe haven for women and their children. They offer indicidual counseling, suport groups, housing assistance refferals, safety planning, food, clothing, crisis intervention, and children’s programs. Call the 24 hour hotline at: 1-800-298-7233.

If you are losing your home:

Call a HUD approved counseling agency: 1-800-569-4287


Our very own ReStore can serve as a resource for low-cost home improvement items, building materials, appliances and more.


For low-cost or free furniture try:

-Habitat ReStore; Check out Habitat for Humanity Capital District’s ReStore! We have amazing furniture at great prices. We’re located at 70 Fuller Rd. Albany, NY 12205, and we’re open Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday from 10AM to 5PM and Thursdays from 10AM till 7PM. Call: (518)-275-6638

-Troy Area United Ministries (TAUM) Call: 518-274-5920

-Catholic Charities Call: 518-453-6650


For assistance with low-cost home repair or improvement:

Residential Emergency Services to Offer (Home) Repairs to the Elderly (RESTORE) Call: 518-486-5012

Umbrella of the Capital District, Inc.  This program requires yearly membership and small fees for work. Call: 518-346-5249

If you live in the area between Woodlawn Avenue, to the NYS Thruway and from Marwill Street West to where Whitehall and New Scotland come together, they can call the “Neighborhood Naturally Occurring Retirement Community” (NNORC) which is a federally funded cooperative program among a number of agencies .  They have a list of good contractors and also will soon have a “handyman” on duty to assist seniors in that area.  Call: 518-514-2023.

Do you have a suggestion for this page or information about another resource in the community?

Please email it to Thank you!